Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Houdini

Sunny, 65/29, Fair to Change. Good news!! No cows hitchhiking yesterday. They all seemed to be on the "Right" side of the fence. Not wanting to set on my laurels of actually keeping them in one day in a row, I strung some electric wire down the road side of the fence line. Everthing went all right except those darn critters are curious. I had to keep one eye on them and one eye on what I was doing. I don't know how an 8' piece of electric wire does to a steer, but if I wouldn't of saw the youngun try to take it graze on it we just mighta found out!!

Sometimes life on this ol' farm gets a little more complicated than usual. Usually it’s because of some predator or some fence malfunction. The last couple of weeks though, my evenings have been spent chasing around a little bundle of trouble the wife and I have given the name “Houdini”.

Houdini came to us about 2 weeks ago. His mother kidded a single and when we showed up at the farm that morning, she was busy licking off the cutest little chocolate brown bundle of fur you ever saw. Well, we’ve been having coyote problems the past month or two, so it was off to the kidding pen for a couple of days until the little critter could get her feet under her. When we let her out, the trouble began.

Houdini has this fascination with playing hide-and-seek, She’s pretty good at it. On any given day she has me, my wife, her mother, and maybe the our two boys (for a modest monetary sum), looking for her. The first time was the morning after we let her out. I showed up at our 10 acre pasture Saturday morning to check on her. I saw her mom looking all over for her.

So with Sam the goat dog along side, I started searching. After two hours I gave up. I assumed the coyotes got an evening meal and told myself I was going to have to buy some beef liver and do some bait hunting.

That evening I came back and was doing some maintenance on the tractor, when I heard a weak bleating coming from under the workbench in the barn. Seems ol’ Houdini had crawled under the workbench and couldn’t figure out how to get back out. Well, I helped her get unstuck and soon, she and her momma were back together.

The next day was more of the same. Houdini was gone and my Sunday was spent looking all over. Found her face down a gopher hole in the woods near the barn. She couldn’t get back out. This was the day my wife named the little one “ Houdini”, because she kept disappearing. She thought about naming it Brad, because it was always getting itself into trouble and was too stupid to get out, but then she thought that every time she called for it when it was lost, I’d be coming over to where she was and we’d never get any searching done.

Well, now Houdini’s a couple of weeks old and things had calmed down until yesterday. Seems the little girl got herself caught on a little island in our creek and was too afraid of the rushing water to jump over. Momma is on the other side of the creek bleating for her to come, but she’s bleating back that she’s not gonna do it. The other goats see me walking toward the creek bank, and hoping to see some entertainment like they did last week come along to watch.

No entertainment today though, just some dirty drawers…. No, I didn’t scare myself, I just sat down on the most cushioned part of my body and slid down the bank. Snatched up Houdini and returned her to her mother.

You know, I was commenting lately to the wife how Billy and I have been getting along better lately, and the farm was getting more toward what I call normal. I’m just wondering if the Houdini girlie might have been sent here to keep things a little interesting……

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home