Tuesday, October 24, 2006

What a day at work

Cloudy, 57/34, Fair to Fair. Been kind of easy on the farm the last week. I'm making the transition from field maintenance and harvest to the "to-do" lists for the machinery. The problem with that is the machinery usually never gets done until the next spring..... when I need it. This weekend, I'm going to make a homemade seed cleaner out of PVC and an old furnace blower motor. I'll use it to clean the chaff out of my corn and sunflower seed that I've saved for next year.

Things are starting to slow down here on the farm, so I thought I’d tell you the most unbelievable day here. It started with a client meeting in the morning; we were going to try to convince him to switch to our company. I ended up dropping some papers on the floor going into the meeting, a co-worker ended yelling out in front of everyone what a moron I was (man was that embarrassing).

Later, we were sitting around and the boss came in, I had floated an idea by him I thought would be pretty good. The rest of the co-workers thought it wasn’t that good, so they started yelling right in front of my boss how I needed to be fired and someone else needed to be hired. I mean, they had no idea the research and fact digging I went through to get the idea. They hadn’t even been involved in the concept, but they felt right to criticize.

Finally, that evening, the client decided to go with another company. The co-workers complaints finally paid off. I ended up being fired. That’s alright though, our boss will be fired at the end of the year because the workers can’t stand him, even though he’s shown a huge profit for the company.

Don’t worry about me though….I can take it.

What I’m worried about though is the young men, ages 14-18 who might not be able to. What I am describing didn’t happen to me a work, but happens to my son and his 30 teammates every Friday night. They work and sweat from 3:30 to about 6:30 four days a week, just to hear adults boo them and yell at them when they miss a play on the football field. To me it’s just incredible how much abuse they take and still love the game.

Funny thing though, this is the first time in 15 years we might make the playoffs.

Asking around you get the same response. “Hey I paid my $6. I can yell if I want to!!”

It just bafffffles me!!

“If he can’t spell a word right!!!! Get Him off this web page!!!!”

Grrrrrr…..

1 Comments:

Blogger Farm Fairy & Bruno said...

I spent the better part of an hour reading your blog...And to think I thought all the funny stuff happened here at our place. I can't thank you enough for cracking me up...

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home