Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Just a Boy and his..... Squirrel????????

Cloudy, 94/75, Fair to Change. Looks like another 1/10 inch of rain last night. Wahooo, Thank you God. Took stock of what we had. The drought has really affected us. I think we'll have enough hay. I'm going to have to buy a lot more corn than I thought. I'm not looking forward to that, because I bet corn prices are going through the roof this winter. We've had rain two days in a row, maybe the grass will get jump started again and we'll get one more hay crop in October.

The boys were working on our dust collection area that we’re calling a farm this last weekend. The rains have been almost non-existent in this drought, and our feed crops have been horrible. So while were waiting and hoping for a second cutting of hay, we were doing some farm maintenance. The good news is that we’re slowly making the land look nicer. The bad news is that these chores come at a price. It’s about $6 /hour for my boy’s time. I can understand that, they’re young men trying to get gas money and money to go out with their friends on the weekend. Besides, my wife wouldn’t have anything to else to do on Friday night if she wasn’t looking through the curtains trying to figure out which girl they are going out with.

Anyway, my older son is working on rolling up some fence wire and he seemed to be doing all right when all of a sudden he starts jumping up and down and yelling (something you don’t see much from this way too cool teen). Well immediately I thought “bee’s nest” and got into the truck, rolled up the windows, and locked the door (can’t have the young un’ dragging bees into the truck you know…..). He’s not running, but he’s trying to reach up his pant leg. So figuring it might be safe I cautiously got out of the truck.

Well I went over to see what’s going on and my son is doing a pretty good imitation of Elvis. I mean he’s got the legs and hip shakin’ and he’s slapping his legs and all of a sudden from one of his pant legs, out pops a little squirrel. I’m thinking this thing has to be a baby because he showed absolutely no fear. As soon as my son quit his dancing, the squirrel was back between his feet, trying to find a way back up his leg. We got a good laugh, and went back to work. An hour later the squirrel was still there. My son was trying to shoo him away, but the little bugger kept at it, and eventually the boy had to make an adjustment to his clothing and put his pant legs inside his socks.

As I drove off, I let my son cross in front of me on his way to the barn. He was carrying the last spool of wire when he went past and he looked at me and rolled his eyes. I couldn’t figure out that look for a while, then watching him from behind, I had to laugh again. There, clinging on the back side of his jeans leg was that squirrel….. Just along for the ride….

1 Comments:

Blogger ch said...

Woderful reading. I´m just having lunch at work in Copenhagen, Denmark. Loved Your stoty.
OSKO KOVACS

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home